Tuesday, May 22, 2012

A Cozy Bed of Herbs

Right outside my back porch workshop and visible from the kitchen lies the bed of herbs. Literally. 
I planted an old brass bed in the back yard as a makeover project (Summer 2012 issue of A Primitive Place & Country Journal  ) and have grown to love the cozy comfort zone it has created ~ a little plot of country in the suburban jungle.






This little old brass bed was a gift from my Dad and served our household well through the years, as a make-do sofa and as a bed passed between 3 daughters (my 6'4" son passed it up!) & then to me for awhile. As my chicks left the nest, no one had the need or want for the almost twin sized bed & it was propped up in storage for years.

Now it provides happy memories of pj parties & disney video marathons as well as a uniquely prim herb garden border/fence. So far I've planted lavender, mint, oregano, parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme (I know you'll have that song stuck in your mind now!)




While taking photos for the magazine makeover, some neighbors commented that they liked our (faux) 'pet chickens' and we laughed at that. But not long after, our neighborhood association newsletter mentioned that several complaints had been made in recent months regarding homes & yards violating the deed restrictions, with one of the complaints being: harboring livestock in a residential zone! Hopefully it wasn't our harbored 'chickens' ~

Soon after planting the little herb plot, I discovered that bunnies LOVE to munch on herbs, especially parsley! Thus I wrapped some thin chicken wire around the entire bed to help keep the critters out.
 

 

1 comment:

  1. That is so cute. It is great that you were able to repurpose something special into a new life.

    Melinda

    ReplyDelete