Sunday, June 3, 2012

Nifty Thrifty Desk Makeover!


When I first spotted this great little storage desk at a local church thrift shop, I feared it had belonged to a skinhead with the strange Nazi-like symbol stenciled all over it!


Before deeming it worthy to be photographed as a makeover project (Summer 2012 issue of A Primitive Place & Country Journal ) I searched online for similar symbols, not wanting to offend anyone if it stood for some hate group. I asked my daughter if she'd seen it before. I asked Facebook friends if they knew what it stood for. It looked so faintly familiar to us all, but no one knew where they'd seen it.
Luckily, I somehow found the image through clicking on countless Google searches & discovered it was just a shoe symbol from the mall; some teenager's favorite cult skate shoe company logo symbol & not a supremacy cult symbol.
Once that mystery was solved, I got busy turning this trash into treasure! I've never seen so much storage space packed into one little desk unit ~ 4 drawers on each side, extended space under the lift top writing space, and room to tuck a chair in, wow! At just a $15.00 investment, I decided this was a makeover project I'd be keeping instead of selling, even though I found similar desks listed for sale online for $150.00 and up. There's so much hidden storage for stashing my vintage stuff...
After sanding the stenciled logos, covering the many layers of paint was a breeze because that skate shoe fan's last coat had been so dark. The black now shows through the lightly distressed coat of red just enough to add primitive character.



 





 
Follow me on YouTube
Follow me on Pinterest
Follow me on Etsy
Follow me on Facebook
 
 

 
 

 

 
 
 

 
 


3 comments:

  1. OMG! I am so in love with your finished project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kitty! If you subscribe to A Primitive Place, it was in the Summer 2012 issue along with my other Trash To Treasure makeovers (www.aprimitiveplace.org)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks awesome now that you have redone it! I would have been worried about the symbols too. It doesn't seem like a desk a teenager would have in their room let alone want to put a shoe brand all over it. Creative on their part, though. But, definitely a treasure now!!!!!

    ReplyDelete